Monday, October 4, 2010

T's Diabetes Story



                   I can remember as a child seeing my grandmother pull a cold vile out of the refrigerator, transfer the contents into a syringe and then take it on tray along with a meal to my grandfather who was sitting on the living room couch. Even though he only had use of one arm he would clean the injection site and put this liquid into his stomach. As a child I really didn't pay it much attention. It was just something that was. Now that I am older I realize that his condition was due to the lifestyle he led. In that day or at least in my family children are never taught that what you eat and how you exercise can become more than just making you obese. The sad reality of it is that it effected more than just him. It was apart of my aunts, uncles, cousins and other grandparents and the people they knew as well. Now seeing my grandmother suffer from diabetes is heartbreaking. She hates needles but has to take insulin three times a day, her vision is diminishing, she can't walk any more or even turn herself in bed. This has led to bed sores that are stubborn about healing and being bed ridden has caused blood clots in her legs. I can remember my grandmother being so animated and lively. Now she is forced to lay in one spot all day as this preventable disease preys on her body, mind and life. The saddest part the the situation is she probably didn't even realize what she was doing to herself. It is tradition in most societies that food is a reward, comfort, and love. Food is the connective tissue in the world and there is no change in sight. How I see it, the main component that we need to change is the type and amount of food we consume. It is a simple solution to a complicated problem. I don't want anyone to end up how my grandmother has.


Share your  Diabetes story here. My story 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment.

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

Contact Us

813-919-8793

Send items to:
809 east bloomingdale avenue
Brandon FL, 33511