Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Snake in the Lake

It was our second day at the Hostel in the Forest and we wanted to swim in the much talked about lake located in the rear of the property. We walked down the dim path with thick brush on both sides of the boardwalk. I was glad it was a boardwalk in place because people liked to walk to the lake at night and there is no telling what could be stepped on in the dark. We came to an opening that revealed a beautiful, alligator free lake. It could be debated to be a pond due to size but that really didn't matter to me. The mosquito's had been feasting on me all day and I was covered in sweat and dirt. I quickly tore all the clothes from my body and stepped carefully into the gleaming water. You can't do things like this in Florida or the south to be exact. Any body of water,  even the sea (in south Florida) most times is inhabited by these ancient creatures. As I disappeared into the water a sense of clam fell over me. The sun was beaming down and my skin invited the heat of the rays and coolness of the water. Fish were quickly interested in me. I suspected because of my dreads. They pecked at the ends of my locks to see if there was any nutrition to be had. It didn't bother me though, it was kinda cool even. I swam all around the lake. One lap, two laps, three until I made it back to where I got in. I had been swimming for over an hour now and needed a little rest. I wasn't successful in my attempts to get Gaby in the water at all.Now at the point of begging, she did decide just to wade. Once again the little minnows came up to me. I poked my tongue out to see if they would come nibble and free some dead skin off of me. I know that many women pay for this kind of treatment in a spa setting. Now my back was to the bank and Gaby was in front of me.She made a beautiful addition to my panaramic view. I continued to let the fish come eat. They were coming from every direction now. Suddenly their pattern changed. They all swam from my left to my right in one big school. I thought to myself that it was very odd that they were doing that. Just at that moment Gaby said to me in atone of  voice I had never heard come out of her mouth, "T, there is a snake right behind you." I felt an impending feeling inside me then I heard hsssssssssssss. It sounded like the snake was close enough to tell me a secret in my left ear. Knowing a little something about snakes I didn't want to upset it, plus I didn't know what kind of snake it was. So I eased ever so slowly in the water in the opposite direction of the mystery guest. I turned gently to see a snake that I had never see  before. I tried to look at it's head but it was moving around so much it was a little difficult to identify if it was a sort of pit viper. I did see that it had no rattle but did have a very big head and and some impressive girth to it. The four footer seemed to hesitate coming closer but didn't want to leave either. I felt anxiety running from my toes to my head. I thought to myself these kind of creatures can smell fear, and immediately I felt my heart rate slow. The snake was within striking distance from the second Gaby saw it, lond enough to where we had enough time to talk about our strategy for escape. Gaby asked what we should do.The thought of spalshing around quickly entered my mind but if it was an aggressive snake I didn't want to piss it off and encourage it to have a go at us. I suggested swim slowly( doggie paddle) to the floating dock but she wasn't going for that. She determined on her own to wait for him to be a clear distance from her then she bolted for the bank. I waited until I couldn't see him any more then exited the lake. The nerves had settled and I wanted to stay in but it was clear ( from Gaby's face and tone) lake day was over. Later when we looked at some pictures of snakes we determined it was a water moccasin. I didn't think he was moccasin because I thought all "cotton mouths" were black. THAT IS NOT THE CASE. Some one once told  me that I was protected by my ancestors and from the things that have happened to me in the past few years I do believe that. Maybe the snake in the lake knew it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment.

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

Contact Us

813-919-8793

Send items to:
809 east bloomingdale avenue
Brandon FL, 33511